RV Living: the Good, Bad & the Beautiful, Part 1

| December 26, 2013 | 36 Comments
Meet "Big Betty"

Meet “Big Betty”

So you want to live in an RV, huh? Well, I’m here to tell you that not only is it liberating, exhilarating, and at times ridiculously breathtaking, but also entirely doable. Having traveled over 8,000 miles solo in my 1988 motorhome “Big Betty,” I’ve experienced my fair share of RV living’s ups and downs, from hitting a tree in Big Sur to watching the sunrise at Zion National Park. But despite its many challenges, RV living can be wholly invigorating in mind, body and soul, and a once-in-a-lifetime experience you will never forget.

Throughout this series we will discuss route planning, RV finances, some of my favorite places in the West, and various tips for staying healthy and happy en route. No time to waste, let’s get this show on the road!

Part One: the Logistics of Leaving

Step 1: Buying the RV

First off, are you sure it’s an RV you want? During my time on the road, I encountered every form of motorized living from ginormous Taylor Swift-esque tour buses to converted passenger vans to motorcycle camping. Basically what it comes down to is how much money you’re willing to spend, the amount of remodeling/repair you’re interested in doing, and which amenities you want to have on board. Or in other words, where you land on the spectrum of diva to dirtbag. I decided that having a fridge, furnace and functioning bathroom were essential to my prolonged sanity. Plus, cooking and baking are two of my critical creative outlets and stress relievers, and thus justified the need for a kitchen.

So let’s talk about RVs. Like any new car, a new RV will begin to depreciate as soon as it rolls off the lot, and renting an RV for any extended period of time will quickly burn a hole through your wallet. However, in my extensive research, I found that countless new-ish RVs are available through private sellers or dealers, and often have surprisingly low mileage. I lucked out and bought my RV from a friend, which ensured that I was getting an honest answer as to its mechanical state, and enabled me to decorate it however I wanted!

Step 2: How to Quit Your Job

Now, ideally your boss is totally on board with your plan to skip work for a few months to travel the country, rub noses with wild porcupines, and embrace your inner ski bum, right? Well, for the rest of us, making the transition from weekend warrior to full-time adventurer may require leaving your job. But before you do, here are a few things to keep in mind: some employers offer a form of sabbatical, while others may be willing to negotiate reemployment upon your return. You can also look into freelancing, teleworking, or other means of making money on the road (more on that later in the series), but as tempting as it may seem to give your mean-spirited boss the finger on your way out the door, don’t burn bridges, you may need them later.

Step 3: Selling Your Car

For me, selling my beloved 1994 Nissan Sentra was a difficult decision, but critical to fully extricating myself from the city, and helping earn some extra gas money. Depending on your situation, you might not be ready to part with your automotive companion, in which case finding long-term parking at a friend’s house or towing it along might be a better option. However, if you do decide to sell your car, check out its true value on a site like Kelley Blue Book, and don’t be afraid to hold out or negotiate in order to get the best price possible.

Step 4: Storage Units

Prior to this trip, I’d never set foot in a storage unit, and had zero interest in contributing to America’s strange obsession with accumulating piles of stuff. However, depending on how long you’ll be gone, it can be worth it to store sentimental items, breakable valuables (trust me, you do NOT want to bring grandma’s china on your RV trip…) and various furniture items you’d probably end up buying as soon as you get back home anyway.

Step 5: Mail Forwarding

Taking a break from bills and junk mail may seem like a tempting respite, but avoiding your mail completely is not advised on the road, unless you want to end up like me with a month-long overdue Golden Gate Bridge toll. Log onto www.usps.com to have your mail forwarded to a friend or family member, or opt to have it delivered in batches at various points along your route. Many post offices offer General Delivery, and will hold your mail up to 30 days.

Step 6: Taking a Self-Defense Class

When I told my mom I was going to travel around the country for three months alone in an RV, I’m pretty sure I gave her an ulcer. However, after taking a self-defense class and investing in an armory of pepper spray, bear spray and a taser, she was slightly more appeased. Unless you are very comfortable and adept at using firearms, having one in your RV can actually be more dangerous than not having one, since most attackers will overpower and take it from you. Your best form of protection on the road cannot be found at Cabella’s, however, but in common sense. Your intuition and perception of potentially dangerous situations is far more valuable than any weapon. Check out the book Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker for more reading on the topic.

Step 7: Creating a Travel Blog

What’s the point of living in an RV if you’re not going to brag about it to all your co-workers back home? For me, creating a travel blog was an easy way to answer the questions “Where are you? What are you doing? Are you alive??” without answering a bajillion emails, and a fun way to for me to share and archive the many stories and photographs I collected along the way. A couple platforms I considered using include Blogabond and Travelpod, but I eventually settled on this theme by WordPress.

For more on RV living, click here!

4--Spare-tire-quote-resize

Category: Extreme

Karly Siroky

About the Author ()

Karly is a graphic designer and blogger currently based out of her 1988 motorhome, Big Betty. Formerly at Starbucks HQ in Seattle, WA, Karly traded a life of coffee and cubicles for Winnebagos and wilderness. Follow her travels at www.karlyandmagpie.com, and check out her work at www.karlysiroky.com.

Comments (36)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Michelle Frappier says:

Way cool Karly! You go girl!

2. Jerry Lawson says:

What a fantastic adventure. takes True Grit and an adventurous nature to accomplish.
    Congratulations on what will likely be one of your life’s most memorable adventures

3. pvenditti says:

Very well-written, thoughtful, and practical. Good job!

4. Fran X says:

I sold my house and bought a motorhome. I lived in it and traveled for 9 years (50,000 miles), as a single woman. It was fabulous and educational and I met the most wonderful people. Go for it!!

5. Sarah says:

My husband and I lived in a travel trailer and then a fifth wheel for two years then we bought a house. We recently sold our house and bought a fifth wheel again … back to the simple life! Once you go RV, you never go back! Love your advice and adventurous spirit! Good on ya!

6. Lori B. says:

Love this idea! Thanks for the inspiration.

7. Wonderful! Thanks for the insights.

8. Junie says:

Just read your first blog! Love it, very helpful advice. We’re planning our getaway very soon. Your advide will be invaluable!!

9. pds says:

Awesome! I guess I’m not too old to go it alone (43) – Was taught to get a job and stay until you retire but I just can’t anymore. I need wide open spaces

10. Loren says:

Fantastic…my wife and i sold our house…bought a class A 34 ft RV turned the front part into a Recording Studio…as we are entertainers…singer’s & song writers…moved to Florida and are doing 10 time’s better financially and being able to go where we want is beautiful…its a new life for us…we depend on ourselves now…rather than someone else…We are so blessed…we love it..

11. Theresa says:

I’m stuck in life, not happy, my kids are grown, and I’m alone. I’m turning 50, I can’t stand working to pay bills until I die. I’m thinking about rving part time? renting my house, buying a used small rv, living at a close campground. .. anyone have advice for me?

12. Great article. Keep it up.You are not the general blog writer, man. You certainly have something powerful to add to the net. Such a wonderful blog.

13. Not more waiting to become renowned today. Buy Facebook Followers as a way to gain status and authority on internet in a short duration.

14. happy wheels says:

Good to know that such kind of posts are there to help ignorant and novice people.

15. Timi says:

HOW I GET A LOAN HELP @ 2% INTEREST RATE With victoriafinancier@outlook.com

I was not sure of getting a legit loan lender online But when i could not face my Debt any more, my son was on hospital bed for surgery that involve huge money and i also needed some money to refinance and get a good home then i have to seeks for Assistance from friends and when there was no hope any more i decide to go online to seek a loan and i find VICTORIA LAWSON Trust Loan Firm (victoriafinancier@outlook.com) with 2% interest Rate and applied immediately with my details as directed. Within seven Days of my application She wired my loan amount with No hidden charges and i could take care of my son medical bills, Renew my rent bill and pay off my debt. I will advice every loan seeker to contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN Company with victoriafinancier@outlook.com For easy and safe transaction.

*Full Name:_________

*Address:_________

*Tell:_________

*loan amount:_________

*Loan duration:_________

*Country:_________

*Purpose of loan:_________

*Monthly Income:__________

*Occupation__________

*Next of kin :_________

*Email :_________

16. Suhana Khan says:

Wow. What a creative idea? I’m really impressed about that. I also like to try this for my lovely son.
    How To Find Best Escorts in Delhi

17. Agen Poker says:

This reminds me when this one time I went to this new restaurant and I was amazed that so many people are willing to pay extra for what they could get at half the price somewhere else. Agen Poker

18. I find your opinion quite interesting, but the other day I stumbled upon a completely different advice from another blogger, I need to think that one through, thanks for posting. Poker Online Indonesia

19. Judi Poker says:

Thanks, great post. I really like your point of view! Judi Poker

20. Your website is very nice and interesting, the website may increasingly exist and no one

21. Awesome work you have done here, I am very happy to read this nice post. You are a great writer and give us much information.

22. That’s awesome! This post gives truly quality information. I love this post it very interesting and helpful for us, Thank for sharing all, Thank you so much. Poker Bonus Deposit Terbesar

23. Thanks for sharing the information. Please also visit our website to share information.

24. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. I really liked this part of the article, This is truly awesome article. Bonus Member Baru Poker Online

25. I really like the information you offer in your articles.

26. Melvinrajiv says:

Much informative article, and I really appreciate this info and willing for moreinteresting article like this

27. Judi Capsa says:

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article , Your article very well and good, thanks for posting. Judi Capsa